Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hermione's Beret


Jen decided to make the beret we saw Hermione wearing in the graveyard scene of the new Harry Potter movie, so I thought I’d give it a try along with her. If you want to check out Jen’s attempt, click here: http://twoneedleninja.blogspot.com/

Mine definitely looks a little different from the one in the movie, but I’m still pretty happy with it!
I chose to use "Alpaca Love" yarn by Stitch Nation in "Dusk" and followed the pattern that can be found here: http://dontcallmedora7.livejournal.com/3480.html


There are a few things I would do differently if I tried this hat again, and I changed a few things in the pattern right off the bat. Firstly, it didn’t make any sense to me to end up with 122 stitches after increasing, since that is not a multiple of 4 which works for the pattern… So I cast on 80 for the brim and then increased to 120 which did work out correctly. I think I would probably do 72 and increase to 108 next time, because I found the hat to be just a tad looser on my forehead than I would like, but it still worked. Another change I would make next time would be knitting the hat a bit longer before beginning to decrease. Probably just 1-1.5 inches more would have been perfect. Other than that, I think the project went quite well and I would definitely be up for trying this hat again in the future!

2 comments:

  1. If only there was a "knitwear for the Potter lover" website...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy!

    http://www.freshislefibers.com/Patterns/hpknittinglinks.htm

    ReplyDelete